Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Cupcakes for Cuties


These are my cute neighbor girls. The one on the left is Crystal (8) and on the right is her sister Lupita (7). We have become good friends with their family this summer. I have been working with them on English and general school studies. Children this age are full of questions...especially when our cultures are so different. They are VERY interested in how I do things and why I do them the way I do. One day, several months ago, I made them cupcakes. They had eaten cupcakes before but were amazed that I made them. They couldn't wrap their brains around cake mix and pouring it into paper cups to bake it. Their mom is a WONDERFUL cook, but is very traditional. The traditional Hispanic menu doesn't include cake or cupcakes like I make. So the questions began....I never knew it would be so interesting to talk about how to make cupcakes. So I told the girls I would have them over to help me make them. Wow, were they excited! So today, the day before school starts, we made cupcakes. It was so fun to see the joy and excitement in their eyes as they cracked the eggs, poured the water and oil and filled the cups. They even went as far as deliberately choosing the paper color for each cupcake. Crystal chose yellow and blue and Lupita did pink and white. So cute! We had fun!










Abbie enjoyed licking the spatula and yelling, "cupcake, cupcake, cupcake...girls, girls, girls..." She stands by the door if she hears Crystal and Lupita outside and yells for them to play with her! They are so kind and good to her! It makes me smile!








The finished product...yummmmmyyyy! The girls came back over after they cooled to frost them. We made yellow and pink frosting. I forgot to take a picture of the final product...But you can imagine a seven and eight year old with colored frosting. They looked "beautiful"!!! They are excited to take one in their lunch for the first day of school!


Happy!


Excited!


Now they are "experts" in making cupcakes...YIPEE!

4 comments:

Cody and Nicole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cody and Nicole said...

Linda shared your blog with me. I hope you don't mind. Abbie is so CUTE! I just love her cheeks. Riley likes to watch the videos, he thinks they're funny. I have a blog now too http://codyandnicolesfamily.blogspot.com

Julia Harps said...

too cute! you are making such an impression on their lives. way cool.

Anonymous said...

You're such an awesome aunt--to your family, and to all the other kids! How fun to learn how to make cupcakes!

I followed the link from your comment so I could see your blog. Hope that's okay!